Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Poem Game 1

The image “http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4596/1617/640/PICT0006.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Last night we played the poem game again. You can see the rules and the poems we wrote.
So I thought I'd post our results so everyone else can be almost as amused as we were. I'm not going to post all the words we came up with, but I will put the words we used in our poems in italics.

In random order:
First, here is Mum's:

It was unintentional that I chose the dictionary
for out came a fragrance so stale.
My eyes fell upon the word canary
and all at once I could hear the wail
That mournful wail of the fiddle.
What, do you think that a riddle?
Mournfully high then mournfully low
I'm so glad it's only one!

Although there are supposed to be at least five words from the list in the poem (see the rules here), Mum was holding a wailing Bethan. That seems to have also affected the content of the poem.

Second poem is Noelle's:

My chocolate chip cookie,
became very stale;
For I was playing on my fiddle,
a song about a whale.
Pine cones are very furry,
and my eyesight very blurry,
because I ate one to many,
a hazelnut cookie.
My thimble rolled away on me,
It reversed it's gravity,
And now it's sitting in a tree,
looking as happy as can be.

I guess she was thinking about cookies because we were eating Christmas cookies while playing this game. I am puzzled by the furry pine cone line. I never thought pine cones furry.

Next poem, Jo's:

The unintentional consequence of
his studying the dictionary was
that he became increasingly
stale. "Stop it!" he suddenly
cried. "When you fiddle with
the pine cone you make me
drop my hazelnut into the
thimble! And I can't hear my
music box when you make such
a noise! You sound like a
bear driving a car guaranteed
to run like a starfish! I would
prefer it if you drove a
sleigh, It would improve
the quality of the calcium
in the queen." After that
he was condemned to be
continually coating jellybeans
with chocolate.

I believe she used every word in that "poem". She said it was free verse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those poems were really good and funny!
I'm amazed that you all came up with such good verses that actually rhymed and didn't sound that bad. I would have never been able to do that in a thousand years.
It takes me so long to just come up with what I want to say. Then I have to make it into coherent form and have it rhyme as well. Sigh....so hard.

Bravo! Brava!

~Anonymous~

Kirk said...

Greetings, Anonymous!
It is not at all hard to have fun with this game even if you can't write poetry. In fact, it is all the funnier if you can't. Most of these are not exactly "poetry" either. Actually, I don't think any of them are. They are just incoherent rhymes. And you can always write "free verse". ;')